Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Closing to new submissions for December 2005


My sincere thanks on behalf of myself and my fiancé, Nadene, to all who have expressed their congratulations on our recent engagement and our completion of El Tour de Tucson. Our wedding will be in San Diego and the planning is already underway. If anyone knows a great photographer out there, please let me know!

On a business note, I’ll be posting the November scorecard in the next couple of days, but one thing that’s clear is that I’ve got quite a number of full manuscripts here that need my attention. Therefore, I am closing to new submissions for the month of December.

Now, what does this mean? First and foremost, it means that I will not be requesting any new sample chapters or proposals (well, if J.K. Rowling calls with her next ms, I might request it) this month. I will be focusing on what’s here and trying to get more of that read.

Please do not send in any new query letters. This month will be about reading and responding to current submissions, already on-hand. Opening and reading query letters is so time-consuming that I am taking a month off. Given that most of publishing closes from Christmas to New Year’s, this should have minimal impact. Further, my office will be closed from December 21st through January 2nd, for the holidays.

Yes, the sample chapter offer related to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society is still open. I made that offer in good faith and will continue to honor it. If you aren’t familiar with the details, please read my earlier posts on this blog. If you have already sent in a sample chapter as a part of this offer, please know that I have been working through such sample chapters and writing specific responses to them. Part of the reason I’m closing to new submissions in December is to give me the time to review these sample chapters.

Yes, if I’ve already requested a sample chapter, proposal, or full manuscript from you, you should send it in. With luck, this decision to halt my requests for new material for a month will result in a faster turnaround time for anything requested and sent recently.

Many thanks.

Z

1 comment:

Leah Corsaro said...

Greetings! In your blog you asked if anyone knew a great photographer. Here is the email to one:

terri.caldwell@gmail.com

She does a variety of shooting and travels extensively. She is also very reasonably priced, warm and considerate.

Post a Comment

We will not publish Anonymous comments. If you would like to comment, you should sign your comment with your name, city and state, e.g., John Smith, San Diego, CA. Otherwise we will be forced to reject your comment.

Also, please do not query us here or ask if we would "be interested in" your book. Our query guidelines are clearly outlined on our website and you should follow them if you would like us to consider your work.

Thank you.